English Expression: Level the playing field. This week in class we are talking about inclusive language. This is hard to do with idioms, as they are notoriously not inclusive. In the example given today, someone may say that it is NOT inclusive because it uses sports and so you may need to understand baseball, in this case, to understand the meaning. However, I am using it today because I think it has an important message.
LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD
- Make a situation equal so that everyone has the same opportunity
- Adjust a situation so that everyone has the same chance of succeeding.
- Quotas were created at businesses to level the playing field for women.
- In order to level the playing field, we need to make the class financially accessible to everyone.
A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD
- Conditions that allow everyone to have the same opportunity to succeed in a situation.
- It’s not a level playing field. How can children play in the same tournament as adults?
- We have put quotas in place in order to create a level playing field.
Now that you have seen English Expression: Level the playing field, take a look at our other Expression Session posts:
Expression Session: turn over a new leaf
Expression Session: have skeletons in one’s closet
En la Escuela de Idiomas de la Cámara de Alava, tenemos cursos para todos los niveles y necesidades para mayores de 16 años.