Stop using boring words like scary and start using these exciting Vocabulary: synonyms for scary. You can use these words to talk about movies, TV series, a story, etc. Instead of saying ‘That movie was scary’, say ‘That movie was spine-tingling!’ Impress your friends and start speaking like a native.
- very exciting, thrilling or frightening.
- Anthony Hopkins gave a spine-tingling performance in Silence of the Lambs.
- Haunted or related to spooks (ghosts)
- I can’t go into that spooky house. I’m too frightened about what I may find.
- Terrifyingly horrible, intensely unpleasant.
- There was a ghastly crime committed here four years ago.
- Gravely disturbing
- The story about how he was kidnapped and held as a hostage was chilling.
- causing terror, excitement or astonishment (that your hair stand up)
- The Handmaid’s Tale is a hair-raising TV series that was based off of a book.
- Causing you to be nervous and upset.
- Watching the fight and not being able to stop it was quite unnerving.
- Overwhelmingly frightening
- Being trapped inside the small room with no windows or way out was petrifying for me.
- annoyingly unpleasant or alarming.
- The creepy old man followed us for almost 20 minutes before I called the police.
- Mysterious and strange
- I had this eerie feeling that I had seen her before.
- Causing freight or horror
- The idea of being caught in a natural disaster is bloodcurdling.
Now that you have learned this Vocabulary: Synonyms for scary, I suggest taking a look at our previous Vocab Rehab lesson:
Vocab Rehab: Nombres no contables a contables
You may also be interested in How to carve a pumpkin. This is an easy and fun way to celebrate Halloween at home.
You can also listen to our Halloween podcast of off the cuff 2020 off the cuff: episode 3 Halloween.
Sign up for an English course with your Bloglish teacher in the Camara de Comercio de Álava here.